Boat lover’s Paradise
Make your getaway to a boat lover's paradise
Hervey Bay is undoubtedly one of the best locations in Queensland for boating and fishing. You have to come visit and see it for yourself. Famous for its protected waters in the bay, close proximity to islands and access to estuaries and lakes, Hervey Bay is the perfect destination for a holiday or short break. Its well worth a visit so make sure its on your "to do" list. Sanctuary Lakes Fauna Retreat is the perfect spot to base yourself for a weekend or for a while because it is so central for all your needs. Come stay with us and get your boat out on the water.
Where to Launch
Hervey Bay is the perfect location for whale watching, fishing and sight seeing, so its no surprise that there are plenty of places for you to launch your boat. Take a look at the map to locate the best place for you to get your day started. Can't find the right one for you? Then speak to our friendly staff, they are more than happy to help point you in the right direction.
From Sanctuary Lakes Fauna Retreat at 1 Shell Street Urangan, drive to the closest boat ramp which is the Urangan Boat Harbour Boat Ramp. Other boat ramps close by include Gatakers Bay and Gables at Point Vernon, Scarness Foreshore, Torquay Foreshore and River Heads North Ramp. Burrum Heads, Toogoom and Howard are also just a short drive away. There are plenty of options for every boat type to choose from. You just need to decide which is the best for you.
Boaties and fishermen will be spoilt for choice when it comes to supplies so have a quick look around before you go out on the water. There are many places to stock up around boat ramps and throughout the Bay. If you are looking to grab something close by, visit Boaties Warehouse and Anglers Den. They are only a short stroll or quick drive away so take a few minutes to make sure you have everything you need.
There are plenty of great fishing spots in and around Hervey Bay as well. These are just a few of the options you should check out:
Top fishing spots
- Great Sandy Straits – This top spot lies between Hervey Bay and Fraser Island. It's popular with anglers for the wide variety of species you can catch there - trevally and queen fish to name a few. It is also known for its natural beauty so its perfect for those not looking to cast out a line. You might see dingoes strolling along the beach on World Heritage Listed Fraser Island. Be mesmerised by sea turtles or watch dugong grazing just below the surface. You just never know what you might come across in the Great Sandy Straits.
- Local Reefs – There are plenty of inshore and offshore fishing spots. For inshore reefs head to one of the many islands such as Round Island, Big Woody Island, Little Woody Island and Little Picnic Island. Depending on your boat, offshore fishing Platypus Bay offers more sheltered waters. You are likely to find snapper, mackerel, queenies and trevally in the reef.
- Rivers - Hervey Bay is central to three beautiful riverways. The Mary, Burrum and Isis rivers are all close by. Take a short drive you will be boating along kilometres of picturesque scenery with great fishing spots. These are home to some great sports fishing species like barramundi, blue salmon, mangrove jack, tarpon and flathead.
- Lakes & Dams - Lake Lenthalls offers impounded barramundi and Australian Bass. Its location is rich with bush and wildlife making it an excellent spot for fishers and sightseers. Lake Monduran and Borumba Dam make for a great day trip.
- Urangan Pier - Technically this isn’t a spot for boaties but it is one of the most iconic fishing experiences in Hervey Bay. The pier is 868m long so there is room for everyone. It is also well lit, making it a great spot day or night. Why not stroll along the pier and take a moment to read the plaques along the iconic landmark. Take some time to chat to the locals and learn some history - you'll be glad you did.
Come visit us
If you are a boating or fishing enthusiast then there is no doubt that Hervey Bay is a must stay destination. Bring the family or bring your mates but make sure you bring your boat. Stay at Sanctuary Lakes Fauna Retreat and enjoy a relaxing break.We are nestled among 10 acres, so you will find ample space to park boats and jet skis. Make your next getaway fun and hassle-free.